COLONIAL HISTORY OF SOUTHPORT SWAMP
Original site of John Osborn Jr. Home Kings- Highway West
The next generation of Osborns Stephen, Joseph and Jeremiah lived in the homes they were deeded. Jeremiah died in 1757. Joseph died in 1776 and left his land to his widow. They had no children and the land was deeded to Joseph's two nephews Daniel and Jeremiah. Joseph's widow married Jedadiah Hull with the land deeded to him.
Then land then fell in the possession of Daniel Osborn. In 1811, Daniel Jr. then sold 23 acres to Ebenezer Burr.
In 1778, Stephen married Grizzel Osborn. He died in 1822. His widow continued to live at 55 Oxford Rd. with daughters Charity and Betsy. When Charity died in 1879 the property passed to Stephen's granddaughter Sara Ann Hawkins.
Charlotte Lacey Historical Story of Southport
The Pequot Swamp was responsible for the being of Southport and it is fitting to give it honorable mention in this story. It was described by one of the participators in the Great Swamp Fight as a hideous swamp! The fragments of which still exist show a rich black mire which unquestionably would be very productive under cultivation. Some of the settlers knew a good thing when they saw it.
I found the following on the Town Records.
May 15, 1684
Wee, the Town Committee appointed by the town to exchange lands, have granted unto Mr. John Burr and unto Samuel Ward the Great Swamp on Ye west side of Mill Hill, as it is already bounded, but the whole that we have granted to them is 25 acres, they to divide between them when they please, and it is bounded on all sides by the Common. In consideration of the premises, the said John Burr returns to ye town his building and his pasture lot hee had in ye woods.
These 25 acres have been drained and utilized so that now only a few fragments of the great swamp remain. Mrs. John Hawkins and Miss Emma Hawkins own a portion adjoining or including, the traditional knoll where the fight took place. Center street passes through this spot. Two monuments stand to mark the site of this historic encounter. One is of stone and was erected by the sons of the Colonial Wars. The other is the living monument, which marks the western end of the swamp and that is the Southport Park. This tract of woodland, comprising about 12 acres, has undoubtedly never been other than woodland.
In the distribution of the estate of James Dennie, who died in 1759, about twenty acres of woodland in Sasqua were divided between his two daughters,� Sarah Dennie Sayre and Eunice Dennie Burr. The greater part of that woodland is now embraced in the Southport Park area.